Is Wi-Fi an EMF? How to Measure & Protect from Wi-Fi EMF Radiation
In the 20th century, we were introduced to the Internet, a global network that connects computer systems across the world. It includes data lines that connect to major Internet hubs to distribute data to other locations, such as web servers and ISPs.(Source: techterms.com). In the 21st century, consumers were introduced to Wi-Fi, a wireless networking technology that allows devices such as computers, mobile devices, and other equipment to interface with the Internet.
What is Wi-Fi?
How does Wi-Fi work?
Wi-Fi uses radio frequencies to send signals between devices. These radio frequencies are different from cars and weather radios and cell phones. For example, car stereo receives frequencies in Kilohertz and Megahertz range (AM and FM stations), while Wi-Fi transmits and receives data in the Gigahertz range.
The frequency for Wi-Fi is between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. These waves are very similar to the frequency found in our microwave. Our microwave uses 2.450Ghz to heat up food and our router uses 2.412 GHz to 2.472 GHz to transmit your data over WiFi.
Is Wi-Fi an EMF?
EMF describes three types of electromagnetic fields: low-frequency magnetic field, low-frequency electric fields, and high-frequency (RF) fields.
Wi-Fi is considered as high-frequency non-ionizing radiation and the modem transmits high-frequency RF signal, therefore, Wi-Fi is considered to be high-frequency EMF.
Other non-ionizing radiation consists of computers, cell phones, microwaves, MRIs, power lines, Bluetooth devices, and house energy meters.
Wi-Fi EMF & Health Risks?
According to ScienceDirect.com, a study entitled “Wi-Fi is an important threat to human health” found that Wi-FI causes oxidative stress, sperm/testicular damage, neuropsychiatric effects including EEG changes, apoptosis, cellular DNA damage, endocrine changes, and calcium overload. Each of these effects was also caused by exposure to microwave frequencies. Therefore, each of these seven EMF effects is an established effect of Wi-Fi and of other microwave frequency EMFs.
Some scientists say EMFs can affect our body’s nervous system and cause damage to cells. Cancer and unusual growths may be one symptom of very high EMF exposure. Other symptoms may include:
- sleep disturbance
- depression and depressive symptoms
- tiredness and fatigue
- lack of concentration
- changes in memory
Some people will be affected by EMF more than others and eventually, this hypersensitivity to EMF will be similar to having allergies.
How to Measure & Protect from Wi-Fi EMF?
Once the measurement is done, it is relatively easy to provide protective measures against the EMF in Wi-Fi.
Here are some tips we offer for fundamental protection measures against Wi-Fi EMF.
First, switch to a wired connection, namely, switch it to an Ethernet connection like what we would normally do with our computers at work or office.
Second, you may control your modem via software, most of the Wi-Fi modems come with software where you can control the signal level. You may reduce the signal from 100% to 30% and still, will be able to work with Wifi signal, but in a much safer way with low EMF radiation.
Third, put the modem as far as possible, away from people. The further away the modem is, the better for your health and the lower the EMF emission. For example, If you live in a house place the modem in a basement far from sleeping areas.
Another option is to connect the modem to an electrical timer which you can set to disable power during sleep time. The electrical timer will automatically turn off the Wi-Fi at your set time so you don’t need to worry about having EMF emission during nighttime.
Unfortunately, minimizing Wi-Fi EMF is not always in our control, in certain scenarios where you live inside a condominium, you will still receive Wi-Fi signals coming from the neighbours and even if you live in a detached house, you will still receive signals from the house beside you. In this case, what can you do? Fortunately, Wi-Fi EMF is directional and very easy to block, you can simply add some kind of barrier between you and the EMF.
Here are some recommended solutions, all materials are certified, environmentally friendly, and tested to be effective.
- We can implement blocking materials such as fabric over windows. For example, the Silver Tulle is a semi-transparent strong silvered knit fabric for protection against high-frequency (HF) and low-frequency radiation (LF). Due to its strong silvering, the Silver Tulle is very stable and doesn't lose its screening attenuation while washing or moving. Most people use this fabric as a curtain.
- Use EMF Paint to paint your walls in your home, or anywhere where you feel that needs blocking from Wi-Fi EMF.
- The EMF Protection blanket is made out of highly effective material for protection against high and low-frequency radiation. This blanket can be used on the couch, in the bed, on holidays, on business trips, or playing console games.
- You can always wear protective clothing indoors while the modem is turned on, for example, you can sport a fashionable hoodie, not only does the hoodie have a luxurious feel, but is also designed to protect from EMF pollution which causes cancer and other harmful health effects. The material has anti-bacterial, anti-odor, anti-static qualities, and regulates skin temperature and skin irritations as well.
- The EMF Protection Cap is created from specialized materials designed to protect the brain from absorbing harmful radiation and is custom-sewn to prevent any gaps which the EMR may slip through. This ensures that your head is completely covered; even the brim is made from these radiation-blocking materials! To top it all off, the hat sports a very fashionable design and looks like a typical baseball cap.
Based in Toronto, EMR Shielding Solutions specializes in materials for shielding against EMF and RF radiation. We also offer a number of different meters, spectrum analyzers, and measuring equipment for detecting these electromagnetic fields in both high and low frequencies.
Visit: https://www.emrss.com/ for more information on our EMF shielding products & materials.